- Boards & Commissions
- City Hall
- Code Compliance
- Financial Reports & Budgets
- Human Resources
- Mayor & Council
- Meeting Agendas & Minutes
- Open Records
- Contact Us
An ordinance is a law passed by a your Town of Porter government. Ordinances for Town of Porter may be found below. (if available)
If you have any questions regarding a particular ordinance, please call City Hall and we will be happy to help you.
The signed copy of the burn permit must be on file at city hall before you are allowed to burn. You may fill out and send back to office by e-mail or come by city hall and fill it out. The permit must be signed for approval after the fire chief inspects what is to be burned. When city hall recieves the approval on permit , you will be notified to pick the permit up. The signed permit needs to be available to show any authority (police dept. fireman etc. ) who may question if you have a permit while burning.
Burn Permit ( PDF / 243 KB )
Frequently Asked Questions
May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?
Please contact city hall if you have any questions.
You will need a burn permit that is filled out and signed by the Porter Fire Department. A permit is valid for 10 days.
1. The Porter Fire Department reserves the right to deny and or teminate any permits and or fires at any time.
2. The property owner and or the person burning will accept all liablility for the fire and any other accidents pertaining to the fire.
3. All state and DEQ requirements oversee this permit.
4. No burning of tires, shingles, batteries, fuels, electric wire, etc.
5. No burning during any state burn ban.
6. No burning on Wednesday or Sunday.
7. No burning before 9:00 a.m.
8. No burning after 9:00 p.m.
9. No burning of materials outside of the city.
10. No burning if smoke becomes a problem to neighbors.
11. No burning under power lines or near gas meters.
12. No moving the burn pile after inspection has been made.
13. No burning if the wind speed is over 10 m.p.h.
14. If any of the above rules are not followed, you may receive a fine of at least $500.00.