To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8am - 5pm  Monday through Friday.

Code Compliance

Do I have to get a permit to install a storm shelter?

Yes<  You will need a  survey of your property and the location of where you plan on installing the  storm shelter in order to get a permit. 


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

Please contact city hall if you have any questions.

You will need a burn permit that is filled out and signed by the Porter Fire Department.  A permit is valid for 10 days.


1. The Porter Fire Department reserves the right to deny and or teminate any permits and or fires at any time.

2. The property owner and or the person burning will accept all liablility for the fire and any other accidents pertaining to the fire.

3. All state and DEQ requirements oversee this permit.

4. No burning of tires, shingles, batteries, fuels, electric wire, etc.

5. No burning during any state burn ban.

6. No burning on Wednesday or Sunday.

7. No burning before 9:00 a.m.

8. No burning after 9:00 p.m.

9. No burning of materials outside of the city.

10. No burning if smoke becomes a problem to neighbors.

11. No burning under power lines or near gas meters.

12. No moving the burn pile after inspection has been made.

13. No burning if the wind speed is over 10 m.p.h.

14. If any of the above rules are not followed, you may receive a fine of at least $500.00.



Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the Town of Porter, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the Town of Porter hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.


When is your meeting held?

Our meetings are held  on the first Thursday of the month starting at 6 p.m., unless otherwise specified.

Meeting Agendas & Minutes

Can anyone come to the meetings ?

Yes, the meetings are public and are open to the community.

Where do they have the meetings ?

The  meetings are held  in the conference room at City Hall 617 S. Main  Porter OK. 

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Sanitation & Recycling

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Trash pickup is every Friday.

Porter Public Works Authority

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

  No extentions or partical payments are allowed.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

What are your hours?

Monday through Friday 8 a.m to 5 p.m. We close from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. for lunch.

When is my water bill due?

All water bills are due by the 15th of the month.

When are penalties assessed?

Penalties assessed on the 16th of the month.

When is cut off day?

Cut off will be  on the 28th of each month. 

What if any of these days fall on a weekend?

If any of these dates fall on a weekend they will become effective the following Monday.

Can field employees take my payment?

No unfortunately our field workers can not accept payments.  We accept payment in our office, by mail or drop box in back door of city hall.

I received my past due notice should I mail my payment now ?

Porter Public Works does not encourage payment to be mailed  after the late  payment notice is sent out. If mailed the payment may not arrive before turn off date. If payment is not in office by 5 pm on the 27th turn off will take place on the 28th.

Do you accept credit cards?

Credit card payments can be made online by following the link on the home page.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the subscribe button located on the right of the home screen, when you get to the alert page  ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by Wagoner County Election Board please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.